The SEC accuses the Charlotte man of operating a $7 million Ponzi scheme, defrauding more than 75 investors

The SEC accuses the Charlotte man of operating a $7 million Ponzi scheme, defrauding more than 75 investors

CHARLOTTE — Federal authorities have charged a Charlotte man with operating a $7 million Ponzi scheme that defrauded at least 75 investors and used the money he earned to make mortgage payments and pay debts. private schools for his children.

[ALSO READ: Here’s how to know when multi-level marketing is a pyramid scheme]

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission said in a press release that it filed an emergency action Thursday in U.S. District Court. The complaint accuses Wynn Charlebois and his company, WC Private, of violating anti-fraud provisions.

According to the SEC complaint, Charlebois has defrauded investors since 2019 by using multiple bogus investment opportunities. Most of the victims live in the Charlotte area, according to the news release.

More recently, through his company, Charlebois offered opportunities for investors to share profits made by participating in the exercise of bogus options contracts, the SEC said.

[WANT TO WATCH ON OUR STREAMING APPS? CLICK HERE]

From May 2019 to last month, Charlebois directed nearly $122,000 in investor funds to a private university where one of his children attends school, the SEC said. He has donated more than $65,000 to a private high school where another of his children attends school and nearly $3,000 to a local social club. He’s also made more than $8,600 in personal mortgage payments since Dec. 31, according to the SEC.

(Watch the video below: 2 men accused of running a Ponzi scheme with an investment firm expected to accept a plea deal)


#SEC #accuses #Charlotte #man #operating #million #Ponzi #scheme #defrauding #investors

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.